Steps to Become a Member
There are a number of steps for becoming a member of the SAR:
- Determine Eligibility:
Ensure that you satisfy the qualifications for membership and that your ancestor provided acceptable service.
Note: The SAR does not restrict membership based on race, color, religion, national origin, or nation of citizenship or residency. Marriage (and its documentation) for the several generations going back to the Patriot Ancestor is desired, but is not a requirement. Legitimacy in any generation is not a requirement. Descendants of plural marriages are not excluded from SAR membership. Bloodline descent — legitimate or illegitimate — from a Patriot Ancestor is what is required and is what must be documented. You must also have two members recommend you for membership.
- Find a Helper:
Contact the New Member Helper in your state’s society and request assistance in getting started in defining your lineage from a patriot ancestor and gathering the necessary documentation for an application. He can also help you get in touch with your local chapter (If you are in Cleveland, TN you can contact this chapter via our contact page).
- Collect and Organize Documentation:
This step involves tracing your lineage back to your patriot ancestor. Your helper should be familiar with form #0912 and able to assist you in completing this step.
- Your Helper may also provide a copy of an SAR Application Worksheet, you may use this to collect information before you prepare the actual application.
- If you have a relative in the SAR, DAR, C.A.R., SR, or a similar patriot descendancy organization, you may be able to save yourself a great deal of effort by submitting their established lineage and documentation for the part of your lineage where your ancestors are the same.
- If you know that an ancestor was cited in an SAR application or know the name and SAR number of a relative, your Helper may obtain a “record” copy of that application (marked up by the staff genealogist) for a modest fee.
- You can request an Ancestor Search or a Member search from the NSSAR Headquarters using the NSSAR Request Form.
- If NSSAR has applications on file, you will receive the newest application filed on your ancestor. In the event that you ask for an application through a particular child of the Patriot, you will receive that application if available.
- There is a similar procedure for requesting DAR application copies. Please visit their website for instructions.
- Please check out our Genealogy Resources and SAR Resources for other helpful information which may help you document your lineage.
- Complete Formal Application:
You or your Helper must fill out the formal application using the data you have gathered on the SAR Application Worksheet.
- Submit Completed Application with Payment for Fees:
Submit your completed application along with your payment for fees and all documentation to your sponsoring Chapter for approval (you Helper may assist with this). The Chapter will send the application and attachments to the State Society, who will send it to the National Headquarters for review.The approval process normally takes 8-10 weeks. You will be notified by your sponsoring Chapter if additional documentation is needed.